Wroclaw, Poland (2011)
|Photo below: Old city hall building; now used for museum.|
|Photo below: A canal near the center of Wroclaw.|
"Transition," 2005, by Jerzy Kalina.
Also known as "The Anonymous Pedestrians Statue."
|There are two sets of bronze statues on the corner of Pilsudskiego and Swidnicka streets, a total of 14 life-size statues, on either side of the street. There is this description of the art by someone unknown: "It commemorates the introduction of martial law and in particular the many people who disappeared in the middle of the night on 13 December 1981." The art was erected in December 2005.|
|Photo below: The altar at Boze Cialo Church (aka "Body of Christ" and "Corpus Christi).|
|The frame surrounding
that painting had many angel cherubs. What look like
small round balls on the frame are heads of angel
Photos below are from Boze Cialo Church.
|Photo below: Altar at Mary Magdalena Church|
|Photo below: Inside the Mary Magdalena Church.|
|The Mary Magdalena Church
is a Gothic basilica from 1342. Down each side as you
walk towards the altar, are little rooms closed off with
iron gates. Most of the gates are locked. It appears that
various church groups pay for the right to use those
individual rooms or "stalls." Some of the gated
rooms appear to be used as private chapel areas. Some
appear to be used for the display of art and items
significant to that group.
Photo below: Inside one of the side rooms at Mary Magdalena Church.
|The gated side room pictured above was unlocked and open for visitors. The next four photos are from that room.|
|Photo below: Human bones under glass at Mary Magdalena Church.|
|Photo below: Markers on either side of the human bones.|
|Photos below: Other gated side rooms at Mary Magdalena Church.|
|From Wroclaw, it was a fast train to Dresden.|