folks from the MHS Class of 1968
For many folks connected to the MHS Class of '68, there is a collection of genealogies here:
Small Trees of
Mishawaka (at ancestry.com)
For more than 420 MHS '68 folks, there
is information about their ancestors at that link. For
some, the information extends for several generations and
has information such as ship's passage records. For a
few, there is little more than the name of a parent.
The database is maintained and keeps
growing. Most public libraries have free access to the
site, and any person from the MHS Class of 1968 is
welcome to contact Alice Beard and request an
"invite." The "invites" are totally
free. With an "invite," you can look at the
database anywhere you have access to the internet.
The database began with three projects
- Research to find contact info for
all from the MHS Class of 1968.
- Genealogy research done by request
for a few from MHS '68.
- The collection of obituaries begun
in 1998, found here: MHS '68 obits
With those three projects, there was
enough info that it deserved to be preserved. A gedcom
file was created and ultimately uploaded at ancestry.com.
Info in the database has come from
public sources, including the following:
- 1967-68 MHS student directory.
- Published obits.
- Marriage records from Indiana and
a few other states.
- Social Security Death Index
- St. Joseph Co. Public Library obit
- Obits at the St. Joseph Co.
genealogy web site.
- Birth records from Indiana and
some other states.
- Death records from Indiana and
some other states.
- Occasional published divorce
- U.S. censuses, state censuses,
draft registration cards, military records,
immigration records, and other records and info
found at ancestry.com.
- Will and probate records.
- Old newspaper stories.
As of April 2021, the database includes
over 39,000 people. The database grows when Alice is
bored. This is something like an unending supply of
puzzles for an obsessive-compulsive genealogist.
As the database grew, an additional
challenge became seeing where trees overlap -- i.e.,
finding cousins. It became a genealogist's version of
three-dimensional chess. Here are the results.
First, there are nine
Barber, Eberlein, Fisher, Jasiewicz, Locke, Natali,
Nisley, Reith, Van Camp.
Then, there are the
cousins, at various levels. Matches are included here
only if it is what the paper-trail shows. Likely guesses
are not included. See a note at the end of the list that
- Kathy KLOTZ and Marty
ZEMIALKOWSKI: aunt/niece (Klotz/Williams).
- Curt ADAMS and Lewis GUSHWA: 1st
- Terry DeMAEGD and Alan DeMAEGD:
1st cousins (DeMaegd/Warnier).
- Greg BALDONI and Jimita BALDONI:
1st cousins (Baldoni/Farabegoli).
- Debbie WERBROUCK and Larry KARNES:
1st cousins (LaCava/Arnot).
- Connie KELLY and Randal KELLY: 1st
- Byron ALDRICH and Walt EAKINS: 1st
- Linda JASIEWICZ and JASIEWICZ
twins: 1st cousins (Jasiewicz/Bujwid).
- Bob LESE and Jimmie TROVATORE: 1st
- Deborah STRETCH and Robert STRECH:
1st cousins (Stretch/Rockett).
- Barbara RILEY and Cheri FRAZIER:
1st cousins (Riley/Haack).
- Pam CRAIG and Cindy WAIDNER: 1st
- David HAMMAN and Connie HUBANKS:
1st cousins (Hubanks/Hamman). Note that this is
on Davids maternal side; Davids
maternal grandmother was a HAMMAN; his paternal
grandfather also was a HAMMAN; however, the two
were not related.
- Greg DEITCHLEY, Keith DeLARUELLE,
Thomas DeLAURELLE, and NISLEY brothers: all share
one set of great-grandparents (de
laRuelle/DHondt). Greg and the Nisley
brothers are 1st cousins to each other
(DeLaRuelle/Doens). They are 2nd cousins to Tom
and Keith, who are 2nd cousins to all others in
the group of six.
- May COPP and Janet JOHNSON: 1st
cousins once-removed (Copp/Warren).
- Dawn HOUSAND, Jimmie Christine
HECKAMAN, Steve HAZEN, and VanCAMP brothers: all
Housand/Bain cousins. Jimmie Christine and
VanCamp brothers are 1st cousins; they are 2nd
cousins to Steve, and Dawns relationship
lies between that for all of them.
- Penny REYNOLDS and Tim KOBB: 2nd
- Penny REYNOLDS, May COPP, and
David HAMMAN: 2nd cousins (Warren/Thompson).
- Penny REYNOLDS & David HAMMAN
are 2nd cousins once-removed to Janet JOHNSON
- Joyce MABIE and VAN CAMP brothers:
2nd cousins (Webber/Funk).
- Jerry HEISER and Claude RODGERS:
2nd cousins (Heiser/Sanger).
- Kitty KLAER and Mike SQUIBB: 2nd
- Gail MYERS and Debbie CLAEYS: 2nd
- Larry GEE and Paul HUYVAERT: 2nd
- Marie PALMER and 1st cousins David
HAMMAN & Connie HUBANKS: 2nd cousins
- Nancy CARNER and Keith DeLARUELLE:
2nd cousins (Wachs/Klein).
- Marsha HONOLD and James CARNES:
2nd cousins (Newcomer/Keil).
- Toni BEEHLER and Barry SPRINGS:
2nd cousins (Beehler/Klein).
- Christine CARLSON and Judy
GREENLEE: half-2nd cousins (Zoe Ella Johnson,
dau. of Valentine Johnson & Rebecca Powlson).
- Greg COOK and EBERLEIN siblings:
2nd cousins once-removed. (Eberlein/Gill).
- Jan MILLER and Brenda SNYDER: 2nd
cousins once-removed. (Miller/Rarig).
- Bev VANCE and EBERLEIN siblings:
2nd cousins once-removed (Eberlein/Gill).
- Rich PUTZ and 1st cousins Curt
ADAMS & Lewis GUSHWA: 2nd cousins
- Bev VANCE and Greg COOK: 3rd
- Sharon GILL and Patrick SEMPRINI:
3rd cousins. (Soule/Hodges).
- Greg COOK and Greg DEITCHLEY: 3rd
- Randy MARKS and Judy GREENLEE: 3rd
- Carolyn SCHWARTZ and Christine
CARLSON: 3rd cousins (Carpenter/Hanville).
- Rich Putz and Jan MILLER: 3rd
- Connie MULLINS and 1st Pam
CRAIG & Cindy WAIDNER: 3rd cousins
- Jan MILLER and 1st cousins Curt
ADAMS & Lewis GUSHWA: 3rd cousins
- Paula LAMPERT and BARBER siblings:
3rd cousins once-removed (Dreibelbis/Engle).
- Josephine KOZLOWSKI and Jim
THOMAS: 3rd cousins once-removed (Myers/Smith).
- Nanette SCHNAIBLE and Mary RHOADE:
3rd cousins once-removed (Matz/Berger).
- Margo LEE and BARBER siblings:
half 3rd-cousins (Conrad Zimmerman).
- Craig SALYER and Ruth Ann SALYER
are complex cousins. They are half 1st-cousins
once-removed, AND they are 3rd cousins
once-removed. Both descend from Mary Watson b.
1882; Craig descends from Mary's 1st husband
(David, who died young), and Ruth descends from
Mary's 2nd husband (Grover). Mary's two husbands
were SALYER 1st cousins.
- Ken BRUGH and Chuck HOFFMAN: 4th
1st cousins share one set of grandparents.
2nd cousins share one set of
3rd cousins share one set of
"Once-removed" means one generation off. I.e.,
the child of your 1st cousin is your 1st cousin
once-removed -- NOT your 2nd cousin.
"Half" means sharing only one ancestor at that
generation; i.e., same grandmother, different
grandfathers because grandmother had more than one
There are eight remote cousins whom
Alice Beard found for herself among MHS '68 folks:
- Sandy Young and Sandy Eberhardt:
descent from Jacob GREIB, b. 1711.
- Tammy Reed and Dawn Housand:
descent from Johannes KEIM, b. reportedly in
- Pat McGee: descent from Thomas
SANFORD, b. 1608.
- Ron Wise: descent from William
BUNNELL, d. after 1-May-1654.
- Sharon Gill and Pat Semprini:
descent from George SOULE, b. 1595.
Totally by chance, in 2008,
Alice-the-OCD-genealogist stood with three remote
At the time, the ancestral connections were unknown.
We stood together as old Camp Fire Girls,
from the Mishawaka Council of Camp Fire.
Sharon Gill, Tammy Reed, Alice Beard, Pat McGee.